The Q&A Archives: Lilies are not blooming

Question: I moved into this house about 2 years ago. There is a long row of lilies planted about 4 ft from the base of pine trees. One bloomed last year, but that's it. What do you think the problem might be? Not enough sunlight? I live in Zone 5, Colorado Springs, CO

Lynda Maxwell

Answer: Lilies need at least 8 hours of sunshine each day so if they are not getting that much, that might be why they are not blooming. Wait until after frost kills back the tops then dig and replant the bulbs in a sunnier area. They may also be overcrowded at this time, which means they need to compete with each other for moisture and nutrients. And, the soil beneath pines can be quite acidic and quite dry. So, moving your lilies will help their overall health and really improve their performance. Enjoy!