The Q&A Archives: Semi-Dwarf J.H. Hale Peach

Question: To pollinate this tree, I need another tree. 1) How close do I need to have another tree? 2) Can I pollinate it with a cherry tree? sorry if that was a dumb question.

Answer: Not a dumb question at all. Most peach trees are self-fruitful. You just happened to choose the cultivar that needs another tree for pollination. The second tree needs to be a peach tree, not a cherry tree (they aren't compatible). A second dwarf peach tree can be as close as you want and up to 25 feet away. Any peach except Elberta can be used. Some that grow well in your area include Earlystar, Harrow, Diamond, Brightstar, Summer Serenade, Freestone, Early Redhaven, Garnet Beauty, Sentry, Risingstar, Vulcan, Catherina, Redhaven, Virgil, PF-Lucky, Redstar, Vinegold, White Lady, Goldnine, and Starfire. Hope this clarifies things.