The Q&A Archives: Miniture Yukon Shrubs

Question: I have some mature Yukon Shrubs planted 11 years ago. I have a total of six. Three of them have a sticky sap on the front half and have a lots of files nested on them. Is this a common thing? Thank You, Baffled in SA

Answer: It sounds as though your shrubs are hosting a population of sucking insect pests. Aphids, scales and mealybugs all suck the fluids out of the tissues of a plant and exude a sticky substance called honeydew. It can attract all kinds of other insects, flies and bees included. Carefully inspect your plants for colonies of aphids, mealy bugs or scale insects. Insecticidal soaps work well against aphids and usually on mealybugs. Hope you find out what the insect pests are so you can properly treat them.