The Q&A Archives: New Plant "weeps"

Question: I just received a house plant. The tag reads the plant is a DUMB CANE (dieffenbachia hybrid). It is a good looking plant w/ verigated leaves. My question, it seems to ,for lack of a better word, weep. These are water droplets on the ends of each leaf. Why is this? I live in an apartment in New York City and have had plants in the past. Please advise. Thanks, M.Manley

Answer: What you describe is called turgidity. It is a natural process that the plant goes through when it has a lot of water pressure which is pushes up through the tissues. The water escapes through little openings in the tissues of the leaves. It happens in all kinds of plants and is usually nothing to worry about. Your new plant should be watered throughly and then you should allow the top of the potting soil dry out before watering again. This will provide just the right amount of water to the roots of your plant. Enjoy your dieffenbachia!