The Q&A Archives: Burnt rose tips

Question: My rose peddles have burnt tips even before they bloom. This is also happening to cardenia shrubs. Is this due to lack of water? I thought I was watering enough but maybe not. Please help!

Answer: The browning leaf petals can be a sign of botrytis, a fungal infection. Hot weather will usually stop the disease. You may also want to prune off any infected blossoms to stop the spread of the disease. There are a multitude of fungicides available, too. Be sure to spray according to label directions. Gardenia flowers are also susceptible to fungal attacks. Again, prune off affected flowers and use a fungicide to prevent additional problems. Pruning will open your plants up to better air circulation which will also help. Good luck with your plants.