The Q&A Archives: Planting Times for Broccoli Rabe, Forsythia

Question: It is February and I am in zone 6 (central NJ) and I'm confused about the best planting times: I want to plant broccoli rabe--how early can I plant this? I want to plant a forsythia--can I plant in sprng or should I wait until fall? Lastly, I wanted to plant daylilies near my tulips but should I have planted them already in the fall or can I plant them in the spring? Thanks! O. Carrion

Answer: You can plant plants of Broccoli rabe that have been hardened off about two weeks before the last frost occurs. You can plant the forsythia and the daylilies in the spring. However, there may be a problem if you want to interplant day lilies among bulbs you've already planted. Do you know exactly where the bulbs are? It would have been better to plant the day lilies first and then plant the bulbs among them.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"