The Q&A Archives: Landscaping question

Question: This spring we noticed some small sinkholes around our house, near the foundation plantings. What is the best way to fill them? Should we use soil or is it better to use rocks or sand? Thanks for your time.

Answer: I think I would investigate a little further. You can fill with topsoil but you'll want to determine just why the sunken areas are appearing near the foundation of your home. If it is new construction it could just indicate settling of the soil. If your home is a few years old, it could indicate poor drainage, in which case you might want to install a curtain drain to help redirect rainwater. Best wishes with your landscape!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "sunset on summer"