The Q&A Archives: Late Start In Garden

Question: We had an early spring but I didn't get around to planting annual seeds until this week. The last frost was probably a month ago. I planted Snapdragons, Balsam, Aster, Allysum, Marigolds, Impatiens. Will these grow and flower or am I better off running to the nursery and buying some flats?

Answer: You might be surprised how quickly your seeds will germinate and grow, now that the soil and air temperatures are warm. All of the seeds you planted are annuals and they're especially prone to getting a quick start because they are short-lived. Once the seedlings have two sets of leaves, feed them with a diluted liquid fertilizer, and repeat the feeding every 3 weeks. They should certainly grow and bloom by mid-summer.