The Q&A Archives: Hydrangeas are droopy

Question: I planted a new big leaf hydrangea in a container. The mopheads were already in bloom. I watered it well and set it in a flower bed. When I returned home the next day - it was totally droopy and the heads were awful. I didn't know what happened but realized it was located very close to a dryer vent that had been running off and on. Could that be the cause? Is there any hope for recovery?

Answer: Could have been heat from the dryer vent - in which case it will probably recover - but another cause may be afternoon sunshine. Hydrangeas grow best with morning sun and afternoon shade. If they experience hot afternoon sun they generally droop but they recover overnight and look fine in the morning. If the spot gets afternoon sun, you may need to move them to a more sheltered spot in your garden.