The Q&A Archives: mandevilla plant

Question: This plant was given to me. Can I keep this plant indoors all year long.How do I take care of it. It faces northwest. I get late afternoon sun.I live on Long Island, Commack n.y. 11725

Answer: Indoors, mandevillas need curtain-filtered or bright indirect sunlight. Provide night temperatures of 60 to 65 F and day temperatures above 70 F. Plant in a mixture of equal parts peat moss, potting mix and builder?s sand. In spring and summer, feed every two weeks with a fertilizer high in phosphorus such as 10-20-10. In late winter or early spring before growth begins, prune by removing old, crowded stems and shortening others. Even if mandevilla is pruned almost to the soil level, it will bloom the same summer on the new shoots, which develop from the base of the plant.