The Q&A Archives: Seed Starting for Ice Plant, Gomphrena

Question: I have some questions regarding seed starting I live in zone 6. Can I direct sow (1) ice plant (2) gomphrena (3) torenia? Or must I start them inside first. Your catalog does not specify and I tried your search engine with no luck. Thank you for your answer. Norman Pittsburgh, PA

Answer: It appears that Ice plant takes a while to get to the flowering stage so you should start them indoors about 10-12 weeks before the last frost. They like full sun and dry soil. If you sow them outdoors, I can't say they'll make it to flowering in oneseason. They are perennial in zones 9-10. Gomphrena should be started about 6-8 weeks ahead of time indoors. If sown outdoors, sow after last frost. Torenia should be started 6-8 weeks ahead of time. For outdoor sowing wait until 1 week after last frost. Each seed packet should tell you when to start the seed.