The Q&A Archives: to transfer pollen,?

Question: should the sm brush be wet or dry?and how often should i do this? and i have no clue as to what a male or female looks like for they all look the same to me!pretty yellow flowers. just like the cuke plants.i am getting sad, waiting for tomatoes! be more specific about transfering pollen! i got the small paint brush idead, but now what?how long?how often?

Answer: All you need is a small camel's hair brush (small artist's paint brush). It should be dry and it should be soft. Just gently touch the bristles of the brush to the insides of each flower on the plant to transfer pollen. You should only need to do this once for each flower. As new flowers open you will need to do only the new flowers. Think about how bees climb into open flowers and brush against all the parts and then fly to another flowers and brush around inside the flower and you'll get a good idea of how to move the brush around inside each flower. While bees do visit the same flower several times, you won't need to. Just once should do it. Hope this clarifies things.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"