The Q&A Archives: Silver King Euonymus

Question: I purchased two of the above from Home Depot 4/6/07. They made it though the winter but now as of this time, one is just sticks and the other on is also dying. What is the problem and can I fix it?
Thanks, Barbara

Answer: Silver King Euonymus is rated hardy to your gardening zone so I don't think winter weather is the cause, but it could be that the soil became saturated for extended periods of time. Soggy soils can suffocate roots and the problem is not always apparent until spring when the plant attempts to produce new growth. You can try pruning them back to promote new growth. If the roots have enough energy they will produce healthy new stems and leaves. If not, you won't see any new growth. You can then dig up one of the plants to check the rootmass and the soil drainage. If the roots are mushy or if they are brown or rusty colored when you snap a few small roots in half, root rot is the culprit. If the roots are creamy white inside, the top dieback was due to winter weather and the top pruning you did should promote new growth. Hope your plants recover!