The Q&A Archives: Vegetables,Roses & GOPHERS

Question: I have never had a vegetable garden. I have gophers & want to know if I can plant in the ground or do I need to plant in planter boxes. If Boxes are needed what size do I need. I would like to plant: potatoes, corn,asparagus, brusell sprouts, lettuse, carrots. Please help in Lskeside, Ca. Thanks in advancce. Tina

Answer: Gophers will dig through any kind of soil, regardless of whether you build raised beds. But, you can build an 18-24 inch tall raised bed and line the bottom and sides with mesh wire or hardware cloth to keep the pests from undermining your vegetable garden. Your vegetables will need a soil depth of 12-18 inches so build your planting boxes at least this deep and line them with half-inch mesh. This will keep the critters from digging through the roots of your veggies.