The Q&A Archives: Planting Times in Zone 9a

Question: Since we have three growing seasons here in the Houston, Texas area, I believe we should be able to start seeds to put out almost all year round. However, I have not been able to find a database giving information as to when various seeds can be started (indoors and out) to fit the different conditions here. If you know of a source providing the suggested planting times I would greatly appreciate it.

Answer: Contact your Ft. Bend County Extension Office, 1436 Band Road, Rosenberg, Texas 77471 (281) 342-3034. Your County Extension Agent in Horticulture, Mr. Bouche Mickey, can provide you with information directly tailored to Ft. Bend County.

A great web site with information for Texas is

If you still need additional information, the Extension Office in nearby Montgomery County offers free planting charts for vegetables, flowers and herbs.