The Q&A Archives: I need help designing my patio

Question: My condo has a large patio (500 sq ft). However, there is no water hookup from the outside. I have been caring buckets of water to water my plants. In california, we are having a crisis on water. I would like to have fruit trees and herbs. Would like to have advice how I can do it without watering too much. Thanks

Answer: I'm afraid that plants growing in containers dry out faster than the same plants growing in the ground so hauling water on a daily basis is going to be required to keep your plants healthy and happy. A drip irrigation system would help but I don't think you can install one on a patio without having the lines become a tripping hazard for anyone walking on the patio. Perhaps you can park a cart on the patio that holds a drum of water and just move the cart from plant to plant to water? That's how they do it in big resorts and hotels.