The Q&A Archives: Bald Spots on New Lawn

Question: I planted my lawn about 2 months ago. Now the grass that sprouted has become very long, but there are large swaths of the garden that are still bald.
I don't know what to do first: should I mow the existing spots, and then plant more grass in the bald spots? Or should I first make sure that the grass is growing everywhere?
Also, if the bald spots are small, no more than a couple of yards across, should I plant more seeds, or wait for the grass to spread by itself?

Thank you.

Answer: I suggest that you go ahead and mow the grass that is healthy. If it's a species that spreads by runners, this will encourage it to spread. Reseed the bald spots, and take care not to tread on them until they, too, are ready to mow. If you have to cross them to mow the rest of the lawn, place a wide board over the sprouting grass. As you mow, step on the board, whick will spread your weight evenly across the surface, and avoid compacting soil and damaging plants. Good luck!