The Q&A Archives: 4 (1'1/2x2') holes filled with water

Question: many days ago I dug few holes to plant leyland trees and 2 rhododend,but didn't get chance yet,these days it rains few times,and the holes are filled w/water, especially one hole is to the top, still is not going away for couple days,3 others holes are about 1/3 deep of water,should I go ahead plant. Thank very for your help.

Answer: You may need to do a little soil improvement before planting your new trees and shrubs. Leyland cypress can adapt to slowly draining soils but rhododendrons will suffer from root rot if forced to live in soggy soils. The following website from OSU has diagrams to help you improve the drainage and plant your trees and shrubs (I think line drawings are much easier to understand than written instructions!)

Hope you find it helpful.