The Q&A Archives: Stickers moving in on my grass

Question: I transplanted Zoysia grass in my front yard nearly 3 years ago and have nearly removed all weeds. Now I have a sticker patch growing and it is slowly spreading to take over my front yard. How can I beat out this pest?

Answer: To control sandbur weeds, apply a pre-emergent herbicide such as Scott?s Halts before sandbur has a chance to germinate in the spring. Germination dates can vary, so applications in late February or early March would be safe. A second pre-emergent application 60 days after the first will help extend control into late summer. Spray sandburs not controlled by the pre-emergent herbicide with MSMA (such as Green Light crabgrass killer with MSMA). Used according to label directions, it is safe to use on zoysiagrass. Best wishes with your lawn!