The Q&A Archives: clematis vine

Question: I can't seem to find the answer to my question.I use Miracle Grow on all my plants except Azaleas and Rhododendrons. Does a clematis vine need a acidic fertilizer also,such as Miracle Grow for evergreens? Thanks

Answer: Clematis will be happy with Miracle Gro or any other general purpose fertilizer. Rhodies and azaleas prefer an acid based fertilizer such a Miracid (which is also fine to use on other plants). The acidifying agents will assist those plants that prefer acidic conditions and at the same time will not harm plants that have no preference for acidic fertilizers. If a plant does not need a specific nutrient or element, even though it is available, the plant will just ignore it. Hope this clarifies things for you!