The Q&A Archives: Dog wood

Question: I got my dogwood about 3-5 years ago and has always goten many flowers.This year it had many leaves but only 3 flowers. I did everything the same that i did last year. Should i be worried? Is there anything i can do? Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my questions. Thank you so much Theresa Kaertner

Answer: There are a lot of factors involved in flower production in dogwoods. Most of it is weather related. If you dogwood looks otherwise healthy, there's nothing to worry about. You may try feeding your tree this summer so it remains healthy and can develop flowers for next spring. Broadcast a 10-10-10 under the canopy and work it into the soil a few inches. As you water the tree the nutrients will trickle down with water to the roots. Good luck with your dogwood!