The Q&A Archives: ficus problems

Question: I live in S. Florida. I had ficus bushes planted for privacy several years ago. Nopw for some reason I am losing the leaves at the bottom. What can I do to stop this. Is it possible to do something for the leaves to regrow and fill in.

Answer: Ficus will develop bare legs if they are not pruned. Pruning encourages new growth both at the ends of the branches and further in towards the trunk and as long as the plant is continually developing leaves and branches all over, they will not become bare and leggy. At this point you can't make the lower leaves reappear once they have fallen so your next best option is to plant some low growing shrubs beneath your ficus to help fill in the gaps. Best wishes with your landscape.