The Q&A Archives: Sources for "Colored" Radishes

Question: Last year I planted your radish, White Icicle'; the package said "Packed for 1996, Lot 3." In the midst of the white icicle radishes came one 3" in diameter purple radish!! At first I thought a turnip seed had gotten mixed in with the radishes. But it was clearly a radish - large, not too hot and very crisp. I've been trying to find it in your catalog (as well as others) and can't! Was it a fluke or do you have such a radish? Really loved it and want to grow more. Thanks a lot. Nancy Reisner Des Plaines, IL

Answer: It was probably a fluke from the original seed supplier that you received purple radish in with the regular variety. Burpee doesn't sell these radishes, but the catalog below does as well as other "colored" radish varieties. The Cooks Garden P.O. Box 535 Londonderry, Vt 05148 800-457-9703 Johnny's Selected Seeds Foss Hill Rd. Albion, ME 04910-9731 207-437-4395