The Q&A Archives: What perennial would work best for me.

Question: I was wondering what type of perennial would work best for me. My house faces the West. I now have coral bells there but every year I have to replace them. They seem to do much better on the south side of my home. I would love something that has color or flowers. Thanks.

Answer: Coral bells like morning sun and shade from the hot afternoon sun so they are probably not the best plants for a west facing garden. Here are some heat tolerant, sun loving perennials to consider: Coneflower (Echinacea), Peonies, Hollyhocks, Coreopsis, Beebalm, Lavender, Lavatera, Petunia, Thyme (Thymus), Wormwood (Artemesia), Blanket Flower (Gaillardia), Catmint (Nepeta), Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium), Bronze Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria) and Dianthus. Enjoy your garden!