The Q&A Archives: Yoshino Cherry Tree

Question: My Yoshino Cherry Tree looks sick. I planted it about a month ago and noticed it had little holes in the leaves like something was eating it. I also noticed spots of ozing sap. All of a sudden the leaves turned brown and are all hanging. Is it dying? It is still limber and not dried out. I have added more water but I don't see any green leaves coming on? What do I do? Help :(

Answer: What you describe sounds like a fungal infection called brown rot. Of course I can't really diagnose the problem without actually seeing it. I'd strongly recommend you take samples of the leaves and small branches to your local Cooperative Extension office for positive diagnosis and recommended control strategies. Contact: Bulloch County Extension Bulloch County Center for Agriculture 151 Langston Chapel Road, Suite 600. Statesboro, GA 30458 912.871.6130

Best wishes with your cherry tree!