The Q&A Archives: Shrub trouble

Question: I am having trouble keeping any evergreen shrub which is what I'm looking for by my front porch. It doesn't get much sun there and I've lost 3 different nice shrubs like 2 pom pom ones and spiral evergreen.
What kind would I need to plant there (north side,gets 3 or 4 hrs of sun per day)Please let me know ASAP! Thanks

Answer: Have you tried Yew or Dwarf Mugo Pine? "Taunton Yew" (Taxus x media 'Tauntonii') is resistant to winter burn. Taunton yew shrubs grow about 3'-4' x 3'-4'. Yew trees and shrubs require a soil with good drainage. Mugo pine is a mound-shaped dwarf shrub pine with multiple leaders and erect branches. Can be kept small by pinching back new growth in late June (candling). Grows in sun or partial shade. Prefers moist soil, but will tolerate most soil conditions. Really really hardy! Perfect for the most difficult sites.