The Q&A Archives: Hadsbury Blue Lacecap Hydrangea never blooms

Question: I planted several Hadsbury Blue Lacecap Hydrangeas a couple of years ago. Every year, gorgeous, lush leaves grow, but they don't bloom any flowers. I have never pruned them. What can I do to remedy this? Much thanks!

Answer: Hydrangea macrophylla 'Hadsbury' is generally free flowering but it is cold sensitive and grows best in areas with mild winter weather. This hydrangea prefers evenly moist, well-drained, humus-rich soil and will happily grow in full sun or partial shade. Bigleaf hydrangeas bloom on the previous year?s wood, so pruning should be done after they flower. If your plant does not freeze down to the ground each winter and if you have never pruned it, either it is not getting enough sun or the soil's pH isn't quite right. You can try feeding with an acidified superphosphate fertilizer (bloom booster) to see if that will help and you might try pruning it back to encourage new flowering stems. Let's hope they bloom for you this year!