Question: How do I get rid of white gooey spots attached to bottom side of philodendron leaves, on tops of african violet leaves and at leaf base, and on leaves and at base of leaves on my amirylllis plants? I've tried spraying insecticide and removing the pests by hand, but can't get rid of them. Please help.

Answer: I'm not sure what the gooey spots are. Could be scale insects or mealybugs - both are common on houseplants. Try dabbing each spot with a Q Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. That should kill off individual insects. In a few days you should be able to peel them off with your fingernail. A large population of these pests can eventually kill your plants so get them under control as soon as you can. Best wishes with your plants.