The Q&A Archives: Fertilizing

Question: When preparing soil and planting seeds why some say you can use a high phoshorus starter fert. while spreading your seed and some say dont use stater fert. until grass start to grow I am confused about this one do i apply starter fert. with seeds and top soil or wait until i see grass start to grow then apply fert.

Answer: A high phosphorus starter fertilizer can help newly germinating seeds grow into stronger plants faster than without the fertilizer. I mix the starter fertilizer into the soil and sow the seeds then wait until after the second or third mowing to apply regular grass fertilizer. If you can only afford to feed once during the seeding and establishment process, forego the starter fertilizer and feed after the second or third mowing. The starter fertilizer just produces faster results. Hope this clarifies things for you!