The Q&A Archives: soaker hose

Question: The Vigoro hose I purchased at the Salt Lake City Home Depot says that it contains lead. I was going to use it for my vegetable garden but am worried about the lead. It says not to drink out of it so the lead would probably get into the soil and then into the plants. Is this true?

Answer: Good question! The lead is probably in the plasticizer in the hose. It shouldn't leach out to any great extent. The caution label is to remind people not to fill the hose with water, allow it to set in the sunshine for hours and then drink the water out of the hose. Soaker hoses are manufactured for use in vegetable gardens but if you feel uneasy about using that particular brand, you can exchange it for one that does not contain lead.