The Q&A Archives: non-thriving garden

Question: I have a raised bed planter garden's my 2nd time planting a garden here, the 1st one didn't thrive either. I really re-worked the soil and adding a better mixture. It's a simple vegetable garden (tomatoes, squash, peppers, herbs, etc). I started w/small pre-starter plants. It's been 2 months and although the plants look healthy - no buds have produced??

Answer: I think you may be planting at the wrong time of year. Most vegetable plants won't flower when daytime temperatures are above 90F There are two growing seasons in the Valley of the Sun: February and September. Things planted in February will have time to ripen by the first of May and things planted in late August or early September will have time to ripen by Christmas. The University of Arizona has published the following helpful guide:

Print off a copy so you'll have it on hand and will know the optimal times for sowing seeds or setting out transplants.