The Q&A Archives: willow tree's

Question: We planted a 2 cherry blossom willow tree's about a month ago. They were both fine, looked very healthy for the first month. About a week ago i finally got around to putting mulch around them like the planting directions suggested. yesterday i noticed one has wilted leaves, and a few brown spots. Could it be caused by the mulch or am i doing something else wrong. I would hate to lose these tree's,

Answer: I think applying the mulch and then finding wilting leaves is just a coincidence. Wilting leaves and brown spots can indicate a fungal infection or can just be a sign of transplant stress. I'd watch the tree to see if more brown spots appear. If so, a fungicide should stop the disease. In the meantime, water your tree deeply once each week to help the roots establish themselves. Best wishes with your trees!