The Q&A Archives: Azalea

Question: My new azalea plants all lost their blooms in a matter of two weeks and are looking a little drab as well. I have watered them often, but not everyday because they seem moist enough and it rains a lot here in Washington. Help!

Answer: Azalea flowers only last 2-3 weeks so I don't think that indicates a problem. If your plant looks puny it may need to be fed. Use a fertilizer formulated for rhododendrons and azaleas and apply in amounts as indicated on the package. Daily watering is excessive and can actually suffocate the roots of your plants. It is better to water deeply once or twice a week (depending upon weather). Try feeding and adjusting your watering schedule and your azaleas should perk right up. Hope so!