The Q&A Archives: Emerald Green Arborvitaes don't look healthy or green. Please help

Question: Two years ago I bought at Home Depot two Emerald Green Arborvitae I planted them in the back of my yard, they've lost the lower branches and this year they both don't have the strenght on the top branches to stay straight up so they tend to bend and the branches are going side ways (to much rain I guess) I just tied them up a little. One of them have develope a light-redish-brown color.

Answer: Reddish brown foliage on arborvitaes is not a good sign. It indicates the foliage is dead. I'd prune them back to encourage healthy new growth. You can shear them with hedge trimmers to remove most of the dead foliage and promote new growth. The growth should be upright and strong, not bent over. Try feeding with an 8-8-8 fertilizer and watering deeply once each week over the summer growing season. I hope they perk up for you!