The Q&A Archives: Japanese Red maple tree dying?

Question: My Japanese Red maple tree is in bloom and many branches have no leaves and the trunk of the tree has a few splits or openings. I di not see anything in the splits. What can I do to make my tree healthier??

Answer: I suspect the splits are winter weather related and there's not much you can do to avoid that, or to repair the cracks. It sounds as though your tree is in an exposed area and simply could not deal with the winter weather. You didn't mention how long the tree has been in its current spot. If it is new, consider digging and transplanting it to a more protected location. If it is several years old and this is the first time it has experienced winter damage, it may simply be that you had an exceptionally harsh winter and your tree is trying to recover. Whether or not you dig and move your tree, be sure to water it weekly this summer and feed it to give it a boost. Hope it recovers soon.