The Q&A Archives: Desert Daisies

Question: I recently planted Desert Daisies in a bed. When I deadhead the spent blossoms do I cut back to the first leaf cluster for each blossom or can I just cut across the spent flowers? How often should I fertilize them and with what to keep them colorful and flowering? I look forward to your reply.

Answer: Lots of plants are called Desert Daisies so I'm guessing yours is Melampodium leucanthum (hope you still have the plant tag). These produce lots and lots of white flowers with yellow centers. You can cut the entire flowering stem down when the flower is spent. These plants produce flowers all summer long. If you have lots of spent flowers you can simply cut them all straight across. As long as you keep the spent flowers deadheaded your plants will continue to bloom all summer long. You can feed with a general purpose 20-20-20 or use a liquid (such as Miracle Gro). One application is all your plants need for a season of growth and blossoms. Enjoy!