The Q&A Archives: Urine as fertilizer?

Question: I've recently read some accounts online, some seeming more legitimate than others, claiming that diluted human urine is an excellent source of nitrogen for a vegetable garden. Any truth to this? Any advice as to how to pursue it? Particular plants that respond well to urine fertilizer or that are harmed by it?

Answer: I've read similar accounts and while it sounds interesting there is no scientific evidence to back up the claims that it is safe to use in a vegetable garden. I don't think I would experiment with it on food my family consumes. You might try talking with an extension agent at your local cooperative extension office. They have contacts at the university level who probably know of some research on the effect of urine in the veggie garden. Contact Cornell University Cooperative Extension, 1360 Fulton St # 400, Brooklyn - (212) 340-2995.