The Q&A Archives: What kind of soil do I use when I plant hostas in the ground?

Question: I was wanting to plant my young hostas on the border of my house. So I was wondering what soil would be good to plant them in. Should I use top soil, or planting soil. What about miracle grow. The hostas are young so I wanted them to get off to a good start. Thanks

Answer: Your hostas will reward you with good growth if you prepare the soil prior to planting them. I would purchase a bag or two of compost or even peat moss to work into the planting bed. Just place a 3-4 inch layer of the organic matter over the top of the bed and then dig it in about a shovel's depth (8-10 inches). Mix it all in well, then level the bed and plant your hostas. Be sure to water them in well after planting to help settle the soil. They should thrive in your newly amended soil. You can feed with Miracle Gro about 3 weeks after you've planted your hostas. Enjoy your garden!