The Q&A Archives: Can I use weed fabric when planting my hosta bed

Question: I am planting hostas and bergenia cordifolias on the border of my house and putting mulch down with them. I was wondering if I should put weed fabric down as well and if not what can I do to prevent weeds? Also if I put the fabric down should I spread compost throughout my bed or just where the plant are planted in the ground. I hope this is not confusing. Thanking you in advance. Angel

Answer: Prior to planting I would mix compost into the soil. Then lay your weed barrier and cut holes or X's where you want to plant. After planting, spread bark or other organic matter over the weed barrier landscape fabric to disguise it and to help your hosta and bergenia roots stay cool and moist. As your plants grow you may need to enlarge the openings in the weed barrier. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"