The Q&A Archives: Controlling Squash Bugs on Winter Squash and Summer Squash

Question: I have a lot of trouble with squash bugs on winter squash and summer squash. I have tried Sabidilla and other pesticides, but some keep getting through and killing the plants. Any suggestions?

Answer: First, practice sanitation in the vegetable beds, making sure all trash and dead material is removed from the bed after each season and dead plant matter doesn't end up in the bed during the season. Second, use Nature Gard for Gardens (page 141 of our Catalog) at the beginning of the season to get to overwintering pests in the ground. Third, whenever you see signs of infestation, slit the stem carefully with a small sharp knife and remove the borer, then cover the slit stem with soil. Fourth, for the long-vined varieties, bury the stem at every fifth leaf node so they will root and keep the vines growing during the season. Good luck and good gardening.