The Q&A Archives: bluebonnet seeds

Question: I am searching for bluebonnet seeds. My mother in law got me a small packet of them of yours. I want lots more. Do you have larger packets of them? Do I need to know anything special about growing them in Colorado at 8500 feet?

Answer: Bluebonnet(Lupinus texensis) seeds are avaiable through WildSeed Farms, 1101 Campo Rosa Rd., Box 308, Eagle Lake, TX 77434, (800)848-0078. However, this species of lupine is native to Texas and does best in a sunny, well-drained, fertile soil. They do not like clay and poor soils. A better lupine choice for your elevation may be the Arroyo lupine, (Lupinus succulentus). It has blue flowers, grows well in high altitudes and is one of the easiest of the lupines to grow. It's available through High Altitude Gardens, P.O. Box 1048, Haley, ID 83333-1048, (208)788-4363.