The Q&A Archives: Getting Rid of Rocks

Question: I have these small white rocks in my yard. They were put in by the previous owners. I want to get rid of them. Picking them up one by one seems time consuming. Also, when they are bundled, they add weight to the bag. Is there a way to get rid of the rocks in an efficient manner. These are the same rocks one might see in the landscaping department of a garden store.

Answer: I know those little rocks will keep popping up in your garden for years to come! Rake as many as you can out of the garden and just pick them up as they reappear. After you've gotten the majority of the rocks out, the rest will eventually sink into the soil, but some will emerge as the soil settles. There's really no way to remove them all without digging up the soil and sifting it through a strainer, the way you might sift compost. Wish I had a solution for you!