The Q&A Archives: Controlling Groundhogs

Question: How do I prevent ground hogs from destroying my vegetable garden? I have already tried trapping them (baiting it with an apple or open peanut butter sandwich), and lined the outside of the garden with yellow marigolds.

Answer: Groundhogs can be so destructive in the garden! They can also be quite dangerous, so you are right to be concerned about them. A very sturdy wire mesh fence run both above and below ground will keep them out of the vegetable garden. Trapping them for removal to another location is certainly an option. Lettuce and fruit work well as bait. You should verify any local laws or restrictions beforehand, and since they can be so dangerous, you might wish to call in a professional to do this for you.