The Q&A Archives: planting shrubs

Question: Dug hole to deep, had to add dirt to bottom of hole to get shrub level with ground. After plant settled its about a 1 inch below ground level. Is that ok?

Answer: I think an inch is fine. You may want to carefully brush the soil back away from the shrub so it is not directly against the stem (which could keep the stem too wet and cause rotting. I usually build a watering basin beneath my newly planted shrubs by raking or scraping the soil out about 12 inches in all directions and mounding it up to create a watering basin. Fill the basin, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time when you water each week. Eventually the soil will work its way back down near the plant but it is a gradual change and the stems of the plants don't seem to mind. Why not try that with your new shrub?