The Q&A Archives: Lack of Growth of Allamanda Bushes

Question: I wrote in in February asking how to bring back my allamanda
bushes from winter. You told me to prune them way back and
fertilize them. I did this and they are becoming fuller, but no height growth at all. I have fertilized them with Miracle Grow three times since Feb. Last year these bushes were 1 1/2 feet tall at the end of the season.

Answer: It sounds like you are doing things right. Could it be that your allamanda is one of the new dwarf types? I have grown these and they get about 18-24 inches tall. Take a close look at the distance between the leaves on a stem or shoot. The standard allamanda will have leaves over 1" apart while the dwarf packs its leaves in much closer (maybe 1/2 inch apart).

If you feel the plant is a standard type, I'd give it some time to decide if it wants to take off and grow. By the third year these plants can really begin to get lanky, so maybe yours will get the idea soon!