The Q&A Archives: Bug Repellent for Morning Glories

Question: The leaves of my morning glories are being eaten by a small black bug. What type of repellent can be used?

Answer: It would help to have a good description of the insect and the damage. By "eaten" I assume you mean physically devouring the plant (like a catapillar or beetle would do) as opposed to sucking juices and discoloring leaves (such as a mite or stink bug would do).

Garlic sprays have some repellant effect on some insects. It is worth noting that garlic works best when applied prior to an infestation rather than after the insects have invaded and begun serious damage.

If you would like to submit another question with a detailed description of the pest (size, shape, where on plant,etc.) and the damage (leaf edges chewed, leaf discolored, leaf eaten except for "skelleton" of veins, holes in leaf (how large?), leaf twisted and distorted, etc. we will be happy to try and offer an organic repellent or control option.