The Q&A Archives: Shrubs Suited to Sandy FL Soil

Question: I just moved into a house whose landscaping is terrible and I need hints for what to replace it with. The front of the house faces west, so it gets afternoon sun. I live in Florida on the East coast so the soil is almost pure sand. Great drainage, but little organic matter. Any suggestions for shrubs, etc? Your catalog doesn't have much in that line. Robin Reinarts Merritt Island, FL

Answer: Your considerations should include how much time you want to spend in your garden and any theme or specific appearance you want to achieve. Take a look at your neighbors and what they are growing sucessfully. Look for evergreens such as hollys, azealas, and boxwoods or look at flowering deciduous shrubs such as barberries, euonymus, and spireas. For unusual shrubs try yuccas or prickly pear cactus. Ask your local nurseries to show you variries that have the color and size or plants that would fityour house and yard.