The Q&A Archives: Transplanted Japaness Red Maple Has Curling Leaves

Question: I recently transplanted a Japanesse Red Maple about 6 feet from where it was. The leaves began curling up, and now I am afraid it is going to die.

It has been dry and I have watered it every other day until we got a good rain two days ago. I thought this would help but the leaves are not getting any better and probably are getting worse.

Is there anything I can do?

Answer: The curled leaves may have dried to the point where they won't recover, but check for buds on the branches. If the branches are firm and plump, your tree will be okay. The best time to transplant trees is while they are still dormant in spring, before active growth begins - and this is the reason why! Keep a close eye on your tree this summer - in its weakened state, Your maple is more vulnerable to pests and disease in it's weakened state, so keep a close eye on it and take immediate action if something develops. Good luck!