The Q&A Archives: soil

Question: I have an about ground garden. The other day while weedin i removed a pole under i must have upset a red ant nest. there where thousands of the most carrying what lloked like eggs in there n=mouth. should I remove them before planting my veggies? If so with what> thank yuou lauri

Answer: It sounds as though the ants are moving their nest and in a few days they should be established elsewhere. There's nothing registered for use in a vegetable garden against ants so you may have to coexist if they show up again. Usually ants are not a problem in the garden. They help recycle debris, which is part of their job in nature. I think now that you have disturbed the soil they will pack up and move their nest. I'd go ahead and plant in the bed.