The Q&A Archives: Not Minty, mint

Question: I am growing peppermint(mentha piperita) in a container along with sage and thyme. I harvested my first bunch by clipping off the longest "runners" on the plant. I have used it both fresh and dried. It does not seem to have a very pronounced "minty" flavor. Am I expecting too much from this particular variety? Should I try another type of mint, or is there something I can do to enhance the flavor of this one?

Answer: The mint oils are most pronounced when you harvest midmorning. If you water or fertilize the plant too much, that will decrease the "mintiness" of the flavor. Don't starve the plant, but mint are such tough plants they don't need a lot of pampering. There is some variation in cultivars, but give it a chance and it may get more minty with age.